With all the spread of the coronavirus shutting down all kinds of public events and leaving gun shop racks and shelves bare, Ruger decided to release a little positivity into the world. Originally planned to be announced in early April, the gunmaker released its brand new Ruger PC Charger a few weeks early.
The PC Charger’s chassis system accepts standard AR pistol grips and the aluminum handguard has Magpul M-LOK-compatible slots at the 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions for easy mounting of rails and accessories. The 6 o’clock position features a factory-installed handstop for secure support-hand placement.
It also features a Picatinny rail on the back of the receiver for attaching a folding pistol brace, which, when combined with the easy take-down of the barrel, makes for an incredibly compact package perfect for use as a truck gun, a home-defense firearm, or even a survival gun, as the broken down gun would easily fit in a backpack.
These models also maintain several hallmark features of the original PC Carbine, including an interchangeable magwell system that allows the pistol to accept Ruger Security-9 and SR9 magazines, as well as Glock double-stack magazines; a reversible magazine release and charging handle to accommodate right- or left-handed use; a simple takedown mechanism to allow for quick separation of the barrel/forend assembly from the action; a threaded barrel, and more.
Because of the aforementioned craziness, I’ve not yet had a chance to shoot this gun or even add all of the accessories to it for proper testing—but it’s off to a good start. For example, I’ve put a Crimson Trace CMR-204 on to provide a light and green laser and a Crimson Trace CTS-1400 red-dot optic.
To round out the package, I’ll be adding a SIG Sauer folding PCB kit, which is currently on its way.
Once I’ve got that on hand, it’ll be off to the range, so stay tuned!
Ruger PC Charger QUICK SPECS:
- <b>Handguard:</b> M-LOK Attachment Slots
- <b>Capacity:</b> 17 (but will accept higher capacity 9mm Glock mags)
- <b>Weight:</b> 5.2 lb.
- <b>Barrel Length:</b> 6.50″
- <b>Overall Length: </b>16.50″
- <b>Stock:</b> None (includes rail for brace attachment)
- <b>Sights:</b> None (includes top rail for optics)
- <b>Barrel Feature:</b> Threaded
- <b>Thread Pattern:</b> 1/2″-28
- <b>Barrel Material:</b> Alloy Steel
- <b>Barrel Finish:</b> Blued
- <b>Grooves:</b> 6
- <b>Receiver Material:</b> Aluminum Alloy
- <b>Receiver Finish: </b>Type III Hard-Coat Anodized
- <b>Twist:</b> 1:10″ RH
- <b>MSRP:</b> $799